Ausangati Trek 7d
Venturing in the vicinity of the Apu Ausangate, implies a wonderful experience, the Apu Ausangate is the highest mountain in the Cordillera Vilcanota approximately over 6, 350 meters, In our journey we will appreciate a spectacular view of the geographic formations, des - glaciers, lakes, flora, fauna and customs of the Andean people.
DAY 01: CUSCO - OCONGATE – TINKI
Ausangate trekWe pick you up from your hotel early and transfer you by bus to Tinki a small countryside community which is the starting point of the trek. At Tinki we are going to meet the muleteers and their llamas which will transport our staff during the expedition. On the route we’ll pass picturesque small towns and we´ll pass the colorful traditional town at Urcos. We’ll continue up to Catca and then Ocangate. In these villages we will see people wearing the traditional clothes of the country. Then we continue on through communities until we reach T’inki. The bus trip will last 5 hours. (Lunch, Dinner).
DAY 02: TINKI – UPIS
Today we leave T’inki and the trail climbs up through spectacular green mountain pastures where Andean People live keeping their traditions and customs. The stunning mountain scenery will make for an extraordinary trek. You will see many llamas and alpacas which are used by people to transport their crops and belongings. Our trek will last 5 hours. At the campsite there is a volcanic hot spring. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner).
DAY 03: UPIS – LAGUNA PUKAQOCHA
Ausangate trekWe leave Upis early and start hiking through the spiky ichu grass of the plains and then the trail climbs up towards the Arapa Pass (4900m). Afterwards we continue the trek between Ausangate and Queullacocha observing attractive lagoons and spectacular mountain scenery with great fauna. After this the trail descends to Lake Hatun Pucaccocha. Then we hike up to the second pass named Pucapunta Pass (5000m). Later we have short descent to the campsite next to the Ausangate lagoon. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner).
DAY 04: LAGUNA PUKAQOCHA – PASO PALOMANI– CHILCAPINAYA
This day we can see the detachments of glaciers the Apu Ausangate. Ascending until passage of Alcatani (4650m), then we will descending until the lake of Ausangateqocha, to climb to the pass Palomani (5050m) where we have stunning views of the scenic beauty, then descend to Chilcapinaya where we camp. (Breakfast, lunch, dinner).
DAY 05: CHILCAPINAYA – JAMPA– PHACCHANTA
Today the trail climbs up to Hampa Pass the last one of our trek before we descend through the ancient Moraine and rocky site this area is habitat for mountain Chinchillas (Andean rabbits). We continue the trek amidst beautiful lagoons until we arrive at our campsite located in a colorful countryside community where people live in harmony with nature. At this place there are natural hot springs where you can relax your muscles which will be well deserved after this challenging trek. (Breakfast, lunch, dinner).
Ausangate trekDAY 06: PHACCHANTA – TINKI – CUSCO
We leave our campsite early and continue towards Tinki. Later we continue downhill through a pasture with a beautiful agricultural were we will see native’s crops like potatoes, oxalis, beans, quinua, etc. The trail descends passing pastures and several communities of friendly people who will greet you in their native language Quechua. At T'inki the bus will be waiting for us to return to Cusco and transfer you to your hotel. (Breakfast, lunch).
- Collection from your hotel, and bus to Tinki, (the starting point of the trek)
- Camping equipment (Dining and kitchen tents, chairs, camping-mats)
- Professional guide (Spanish / English)
- Horsemen and horses (to carry tents, food and cooking equipment)
- Horses to carry personal gear up to 9 kg per passenger
- 1 emergency horse every 6 persons
- Meals (05 Breakfast, 06 Lunches, 05 Dinner & snack
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Breakfast on the first day
- Dinner on the last daY
- sleeping bag
RECOMMENDATIONS TO BRING:
- A backpack with a change of clothes for the whole period of the trek
- Rain jacket or poncho (plastic ponchos can be purchased in Cusco)
- Strong footwear, ideally trekking or sport shoes
- Warm clothes, including jacket, fleece and sweaters
- Sleeping bag (it can be hired at our agency for US$ 4.00 / day)
- Mattress: will be provided by the agency but is to be carried by you
- Flashlight and batteries
- Camera, films and batteries (batteries consume more quickly under cold conditions)
- Hat or cap to protect you from the sun, rain or cold
- Sun block,Insect repellent
- Snacks: biscuits, energy bars, chocolate, etc.
- Water bottle and sterilizing tablets (Micropur)
- Swimsuit (if you intend to go to the hot springs)